a) Professional qualifications
The professional qualifications for engineering offices-consulting engineers are laid down in the Order of the Federal Minister for Economic Affairs and Labour on the qualifications required by the regulated profession of engineering offices (consulting engineers) of 28th January, 2003, BGBl. II 89/2003, last amended by the Federal Law Gazette II 399/2008.
§ 1. (1) The following evidence of the professional qualification to exercise the profession of "engineering offices-consulting engineers" (§ 94 Subpara 69 Industrial Code) must be provided:
1. Certificates of
a) successful attendance of a branch of study corresponding to the speciality of the particular engineering office or at least four semesters of a postgraduate study at an Austrian university or college of arts, or at a Fachhochschule (professional college) and at least three years of professional practice in that speciality, or
b) successful attendance at a secondary professional college acc. to § 67 Point a) of the Education Act or a special type of college acc. to § 73 Point a) of the Education Act or at a secondary college for agriculture and forestry acc. to § 11 of the Education Act on colleges for agriculture and forestry, or a special type of college acc. to § 18 of this Education Act and at least six years of professional practice (§ 18, Para 3 Industrial Code 1994) in that speciality and
2. the Licence Examination Certificate.
(2) If the period of professional practice laid down in Para 1, Subpara 1, Points a) and b), is completed in a speciality that is generally appropriate with respect to the requested licence but does not correspond to the course of study that has been completed or the college (training institute) that has already been attended successfully, the duration of the professional practice to be proven acc. to Para 1 will be extended in each case by two years.
b) Licence Examination
Announcement of the Austrian Association of Consulting Engineers of 2 October 2008
(in accordance with § 22a of the Austrian Industrial Code 1994)
Decree: Regulation for the Qualifying Examination for Consulting Engineers
Decree of the Austrian Association of Consulting Engineers regarding the qualifying examination for the regulated profession Engineering offices - Consulting Engineers (the following is decreed in the amendment to the consulting engineers) ("Regulation for the Qualifying Examination for Consulting Engineers")
Pursuant to §§ 22 and 352 a (2) of the Industrial Code 1994, Austrian Federal Law Gazette No. 194, as published in the Federal Law Gazette I No. 68/2008, the following is decreed:
§ 1. The qualifying examination for a specific area of expertise for the regulated profession Engineering offices - Consulting Engineers consists of 2 parts.
Part 1: Written Examination
§ 2. (1) The written examination shall cover the business and professional knowledge required for carrying on the profession and shall be conducted before the oral examination.
(2) The examination tasks and questions in part 1 shall comprise the following areas:
Business administration: business management and internal cost accounting
Fees: tenders for and awards of engineering services; in particular principles of fee calculation, calculation recommendations of Engineering offices - Consulting Engineers and service profiles
Award process: award of tenders for services; in particular the Federal Procurement Act and relevant standards
Completion and control of services taking into account the relevant professional and technical standards
(3) The examinee must complete the written examination within 4 hours. The written part shall end after 5 hours.
(4) During the examination a commissioner or other suitable supervising person must be present.
(5) Part 1 is an integral component of the examination.
Part 2: Oral Examination
§ 3. (1) The oral examination shall cover the legal and professional knowledge required for carrying on the profession.
(2) The examination tasks or questions in part 2 shall comprise the following subjects with due regard for the area of expertise.
Principles of civil law, commercial and company law, tax law, competition law and the intellectual property right; administrative law, in particular the area of application of administrative procedure law as well as the principles of the General Administrative Procedure Act with particular consideration of the provisions concerning representation and the rights of parties.
Labor law, including collective bargaining agreements, social security law, trade law including the professional rules of conduct for Engineering offices - Consulting Engineers as well as the rules of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber; employee safety laws, technical employee protection.
Professional Regulations and Laws:
Relevant laws, regulations, and standards with in-depth professional or technical analysis (technical discussion).
(3) The oral examination of each subject listed in par. 2 (a through c) may not be less than 10 minutes and may not exceed 20 minutes.
§ 4. (1) The assessment of the subjects in parts 1 and 2 shall be based on the grading system excellent through insufficient.
(2) A part is passed if all subjects received passing grades.
(3) A part is passed with distinction if no less than half of the tested subjects received the grade "excellent" and the remaining subjects received the grade "good".
Retaking the examination
§ 5. Only those subjects of the parts that received non-passing grades need to be repeated.
Examination material for pre-qualification
§ 6. The qualifying examination of this subject according to § 3 par. 2 lit. c is available for candidates who can provide proof of successful completion of the qualifying examination for a different particular area of expertise for the regulated profession Engineering offices - Consulting Engineers in accordance with § 1.
Board of Examiners
§ 7. (1) Pursuant to §§ 351 par. 1 and 2 and 352a par. 2 of the Industrial Code 1994 in the current version, the Board of Examiners for the qualifying examination shall consist of the Chairperson, two committee members in accordance with § 351 par. 1 and two additional committee members pursuant to § 352a par. 2.
(2) The Chairperson must be a suitable upper-level civil servant (§ 351 par. 4 of the Industrial Code 1994, in the current version).
(3) The two committee members in accordance with § 351 par. 1 of the Industrial Code 1994, in the current version, must be practicing specialists in one of the areas of expertise to be examined (§ 351 par. 4 of the Industrial Code 1994, in the current version).
(4) For the other two additional committee members the following level of qualification is required by § 352a par. 2 item 1 of the Industrial Code 1994, in the current version:
Both committee members must, according to the subject areas and the requirements of the examination in the pertinent subject matters pursuant to § 134 (1) of the Industrial Code 1994 in the current version, have completed university studies at a domestic University, a college of higher education or a liberal arts university or at least four semesters of postgraduate study at a domestic university or an appropriate Austrian higher level professional school and work in the field of Engineering offices - Consulting Engineers as owner of the business or as business manager.
If no or only one committee member in accordance with item 1 is available, suitable committee members must be recruited according to the areas of expertise and the requirements of the examination, who are university professors or university lecturers at an Austrian university or professors at an Austrian college of higher education or upper-level civil servants.
In addition to the requirements set out under item 1 and item 2, these committee members must present a certificate regarding the relevant professional qualifications that has been issued by the competent professional association.
(5) If the conclusion of one or both further additional committee members in accordance with par. 4 is not necessary, then the decision will be made by the master examination program together with the chairperson and the two members according to par. 3 of the Board of Examiners.
Effectiveness and Transitional Provisions
§ 8. (1) This decree shall become effective on October 20, 2008.
(2) The regulation for the Qualifying Examination for Consulting Engineers issued on February 1, 2006 shall become ineffective on October 19, 2008.
(3) Examination applicants who have not yet passed the examination process in accordance with Federal Law Gazette No. 725/1990 at the time this decree has become effective, shall transfer to the new examination procedure. Parts of the examination that have been passed in accordance with Federal Law Gazette No. 725/1990 shall be credited as follows: The successful completion of the written examination replaces the written examination in part 1 of this decree.
(4) In cases of doubt, the head of the masters' examination program shall decide which subjects shall be repeated in accordance with the new examination regulations.
Chairman of the association Managing Director of the association